Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner released Brisbane City Council’s 2019 – 2020 Annual Plan and Budget on Wednesday 12 June 2019. As the first budget released under the new Lord Mayor, there has been a significant focus on improving transport and green spaces.
While the big-ticket items of the $3.15 billion budget have been widely reported, Hickey Oatley Planning & Development have reviewed the Plan and detailed below some of the key day-to-day implications it will have on our clients and new developments across the Brisbane Local Government Area.
Increase in development assessment fees and charges
On average, Council’s development assessment fees and charges increased by 2.5%. This sees:
- Council’s standard pre-lodgement meeting fee increasing from $575 to $590.
- The base charge for a subdivision (up to 4 lots) increasing from $3,450 to $3,540 and every additional fee costing $590 as compared to $575.
- The base charge for multiple dwellings (up to 2 dwellings) increasing from $6,900 to $7,080 while every additional dwelling (over 2 dwellings up to and including 70 dwellings) costing $472 and every dwelling over 70 dwellings costing $236.
Infrastructure charges rebate
- Council will provide an infrastructure charges rebate of 33% over the next three years, for residential care facilities and developers of multiple dwellings if they meet the industry “Gold” standard for Liveable Housing Design Guidelines when the building is constructed and certification is demonstrated.
Decrease in small business rates and charges
- Council have pledged to support small businesses and provide a $2 million reduction in fees and charges helping to support new suburban dining, food vans and business advertising with a higher discount offered to start-ups.
Continuation of discounted RiskSMART application fees
- Council will continue to provide a 20% discount on all applicable RiskSMART application fees.
If you are looking to lodge a development application in the coming weeks and want to avoid paying any additional fees, you will need to lodge a properly made application to Council by 30 June 2019. To do so, we recommend you get in touch with Hickey Oatley today who can ensure all mandatory information is correctly submitted to Council in time. You can contact us on 0401 349 601 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further detail, you can read the Brisbane City Council 2019-2020 budget in full on Council’s website –https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/council-information-and-rates/news-and-publications/council-annual-plan-and-budget-2019-20 .